Sunday 1 February 2015

Observation, and a few other thoughts on the Skype conversations today

Quite a few things stayed with me from today's discussions and it was good to get into some big questions straight away.
Teacher identity is really important to my research. Who am I?  (back to Module 1) How do I see myself in the teaching role? and how does this interrelate to all the other factors that have influenced and built my dance teaching knowledge? How have I learnt the assumptions I make?

We talked about the privileging of professional performance, however we define 'professional' and, I suggested, the possible lower status of teaching and other roles/jobs within dance. Where does this perception come from? Society, parents and the media were all mentioned by Cathy (I think it was Cathy, apologies if it was someone else) 
I feel that I value teachers as highly as any other role in dance, of course, being one, but I can hear voices (whose?) saying, 'well, many teachers were dancers themselves'. True to some extent but what if they weren't?   Teachers need a deep understanding of the subject they teach, but if we think of a science teacher, does she have to have been a successful scientist in the field, getting paid to develop new ideas, to be a good science teacher?  I don't think so but I'm just thinking out loud. Is dance, or the Arts a different case? It's always interesting to compare dance with completely different disciplines or industries to test out ideas about dance.

I seem to struggle to articulate and express myself verbally, interesting for a teacher, but maybe not so weird if you're in the realm of movement? Anyway, just to shed a bit more light on my area of research. I'm interested in the giving and receiving of feedback, both non-verbal and verbal, that happens during the dance learning experience itself. Feedback comes at different times for different purposes (often accompanying a mark at the end of term for example) but I'm interested in the interplay between the teacher and learner during the physicality of learning dance technique in the studio.

One method I'll be using to explore this is observation of my teaching, through video and reflection, and other teachers in action.  So how will I observe? Today people made many suggestions such as letting observations sit with you for a while and avoiding dismissing things that don't seem to fit neatly anywhere. They may fit or link to something later or they may become important as the research continues or they may not.  Adesola talked about the need to find a balance between not knowing what you're looking for (a good thing!) and knowing what you would like to do in the analysis, which will guide the research. The importance of thinking about the method of recording observations was also mentioned. How to best capture things, in what form?

That's it for now. Thanks for an interesting and helpful talk this morning and nice to hear familiar, and new voices.



5 comments:

  1. Just a comment on the teacher of dance and how some don't view those who wern't 'professional dancers' as good as those who were. I did dance professionally as a jazz dancer when I was younger and trained at a vocational school from 16-18. But ballet had always been my first love, however a back injury put paid to a professional career in ballet, I loved being able to perform in another genre but eventually became a ballet teacher after studying at a teaching college in the UK. It is upsetting when after all the hard work studying and teaching that some schools main priority for hiring is that you have danced in a company and 'have some teaching experience' as if thats a minor thing! At teaching college one of our best teachers who trained many of todays dancers had not danced professionally - but she really knew and understood how to get the best work out of her students (she didn't demonstrate with her legs up around her ears - but she sure could teach that!). On the other spectrum we did have master classes with one professional dancer (whom I shall not name!) whose class was so awfully uninspiring that we often skipped out! One more thought - I was comparing the pay per hour I received when I first started teaching over 20 years ago and realised it hasn't really gone up much - why are the arts so poorly paid? This is in the private sector. Sorry if I took this in another direction but your thoughts prompted me to think about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you are writing made me really think about my own teaching position. I started teaching straight after vocational school and have never stopped. I have known that I wanted to teach since I was twelve and hate standing on the stage (sounds weird, I know), so I really enjoyed what you wrote about the linking of dance teachers to science teacher.... I have been thinking many a time through my working years that I maybe should have tried to perform professionally before I settled in with teaching - maybe it would have made no difference. I totally agree that a good teacher comes from being a good teacher, not being a professional dancer. I think we have all been there-in awe of the ballerina coming to teach a class that is absolutely uninspiring.

    After our lunch chat at Middelsex and reading your blog I have also become much more aware in the giving and receiving feedback and what really amazes me is how different the pupils react to it. In one class I have some girls that can "handle" lots of feedback and some girls that I carefully need to select what to say, and then say it very gently or else they will fall to pieces.

    This weekend my pupils have had a visit from a guest lecture and I have watched them (all levels and age 7-16), doing classes and that has been so interesting. I have really seen a lot (that I maybe normally miss out when I have to teach, remember what to say, the exercises, taking care to see everyone, give feedback to everyone and so on). A great experience-being an observer in "my own class" I feel I got to know my pupils even more:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great topic! I love your point about teachers not being as respected or recognized in the dance/arts community, being lower then other dance related careers. I have noticed this too, especially in writing about dance. Often performance and choreography is listed but not teaching. Looking back on my training and performance career it is teachers that I remember influencing not only my ability but also my of dance. I feel great responsibility as a teacher to educate my students, train them in proper technique, but also inspire and engage them in their art form.
    Quick question, in the UK are there any requirements for teaching dance in studios, schools, institutes, etc…? One of my potential ideas for a line of inquiry is looking at how we can further educate or prepare our teachers. In Canada there are no requirements for opening a studio or teaching dance! So there are many recreational studios around with teachers who were poorly trained and have carried on that training to their own students. I'm just curious if that is the same elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick comment to you Ainsley. I am not sure if you are interested but in Norway there are no requirements for teaching dance in studios. If you want to teach at Primary/Secondary/High School you have to have a teaching qualification of some sort to get a decent pay, but for all private and colleges/university you can just teach. There are no requirements for opening a studio either....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your thoughts on this. Yes, the idea that some people might not have wanted to be a dancer who performs, that they may have chosen teaching from the start could potentially mean that they are the ones most invested in their teaching. I know when I take class I have to enjoy how the teacher moves and find it inspiring, but having been a professional is not a pre requisite. I have to say though that I haven't come across many teachers who weren't 'professional' performers before teaching or simultaneously with a teaching career. It would be interesting to know what students want or expect from their teacher in terms of past experience, career and qualifications.

    I don't actually know about any standards or qualifications needed to set up a dance school in the UK. I think things are becoming more regulated but my guess is that you can do it without teaching qualifications. I should find out!

    ReplyDelete