Sunday 22 February 2015

Opening up to students

So I thought I'd share a few thoughts from my reflective journal with you as I've not quite started my field work (although I am trying to have my research questions constantly on my radar at work).

I'm starting to get into Module 3 and realised that it would have really helped me with designing my research inquiry if I'd read the Module 3 handbook much earlier, like four months ago!  I didn't want to overwhelm myself but it would have been good to get an idea of where I was heading, even if I didn't understand all of it.  I sometimes say to students when I demonstrate a long phrase in real time (not a slower speed) not to worry, take in what they can but that it can be useful to get a view of the whole picture and then go back and build it up. Funny that I don't apply this to my own academic study!
I'm also coming across books and articles that would have been really useful for writing my proposal but I'm sure they will still inform my research to come.

So, from my journal this week..... It's not edited so apologies if it meanders a bit.
I realised today that I reveal my thought process to my students quite a lot in class. It might be talking about what I've decided id like to do next as I try to create a good progression within the session, or a music change, or or part of an exercise that doesn't flow very well in terms of my choreography. This can leave me as teacher feeling a bit vulnerable and perhaps open to the critism of lacking authority but I think the reason I teach like this, for this particular group is that they are a fairly mature group of 1st year undergraduates, a very small cohort so I am getting to know them quite well, and I think/hope we have built up some mutual  trust.  I hope revealing my thought process to them about what and how I'm teaching as I go along, might lessen the gap they might feel between themselves and me as teacher, and also, to help them learn as student dance teachers.  I am older and more experienced in the technique I teach  then my students are  but perhaps it's about trying to create a feeling of working together, and perhaps being honest with them about the fact that I'm learning all the time as well and am human, not some kind of dance teaching machine.

What do you think?







3 comments:

  1. Hi Rose, I love the fact that you are honest and open with your students. This was one of the areas that I found to be a strength in not only developing my research in module 3 but it also provided clarity and understanding on both sides of the inquiry. I think it was you Rose (forgive me if I'm wrong) that asked me if I taught all my inquiry sessions as a workshop style experience. I possibly didn't explain myself very well, but by workshop style I meant exactly what you are demonstrating in your methodology and reflective diary. The experience that this presented to my own professional practice and pedagogy was incredibly satisfying as I learnt so much from my students. I am used to teaching ballet, jazz, modern theatre and tap classes which lend themselves to be more of the rote learning style. Choreography and certainly my research inquiry allowed me more 'freedom' in my teaching practice and provided me with a sense of honesty and expression that steered the teaching and learning (research) as it presented itself 'in the moment of now'. I found this 'new' teaching style to be invaluable to the students learnt experience and it was equally invaluable to me as their teacher, mentor and researcher. I have as a result, re-visited my methodology and developed my professional practice as a result of my own learnt experience throughout my professional inquiry.

    Forgive me if I've gabbled on, but I believe this is a great way to build rapport with students, develop teaching strategies and realise the potential that can be offered by both student and teacher. I am excited to hear more about your teaching style, what is your research inquiry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rose,
    Really interesting I can very much relate to what you have said! I talk openly with my students and do reveal my thought processes and ideas as they happen! I reflect on this and I sometimes am left feeling "less adult" due to me revealing these. I am not strict so to say..just loud at times!! On the other hand sometimes I see the relief in their eyes that someone is talking to them on a level. Sometimes I even act the fool especially when my memory lets me down. It all adds to a slightly more connective experience. For them to see me make mistakes.I try to develop trust with them and not a dictatorship as some dance methods and teachers can do. I also reflect and think if someone was observing me it may not be to their liking. I mean I don't think I would win any awards for teaching as I don't think I conform sometimes. But I do get to the same end! The children do well in their Exams. I have quite an organic way of working.Not that I am doing anything wrong but that I sort of put myself on a level with the children always trying to attempt to see the situation through their eyes based on my own memories and experiences of myself being a child in a dance class. I would say this has developed a culture in my dance school not like "the norm". I saw a video of a Primary Tap dance class the other day they were all "technically" perfect I admired it but something just doesn't sit right with me. I strongly feel as teachers we have a responsibility to develop the voice of our students and their own creative expression not mould them into robots. I fret about this a lot as most of my children are not neat!! But they are full of their own essence. I really do see their journey ahead of them. Long term. Not their leg around their head doing multiple spins and acro! At age 7 Sorry to rant... I have a student that has been with me most of her childhood. She is now 14. She has such a lovely approach to her dancing and I believe it's because it has been a stress and pressure free training more about her embodied experience. I believe her healthy attitude to her dance is with her for life. This is due to (as Amanda said) the rapport we have built between us over the years. Put it like this I reckon she may attend my funeral and thank me one day!! I love your posts Rose keep them coming
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi both, thanks so much for commenting and I'm so glad you're still on the MAPP radar. You both express some of the ideas I was trying to articulate, and also validate my approach which is great! I've thought recently that the way I teach now is a strong reflection of my identity and personality and I would find it very hard to adopt a stricter, more authoritative and dictatorial teaching approach as it's simply not in me. At times I wish it was. I would never shout or create a stressful atmosphere in classes (at least I hope not) as I don't believe it fosters successful learning, autonomy or is really appropriate in a university dance course setting, if any! It would also cause me a great deal of stress. All that said, colleagues have said that I'm just too nice to students and I don't automatically see that as a positive.
    I really enjoyed your presentations and both subjects fired off so many thoughts and questions, it was great, congratulations! I hope we bump into each other somewhere again very soon. Perhaps one of the conferences?

    ReplyDelete